Subject: Re: Unable to boot NetBSD 3.0 on Asus P4R800V m/b
From: David Lord <david@lordynet.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/03/2006 17:00:38
On 3 Aug 2006, at 11:31, David Lord wrote:

> On 3 Aug 2006, at 1:49, NetBSD mailing list <port-i38 wrote:
>
> > I have two fileservers, Asus P4R800V + Celeron 2400, running
> FreeBSD
> > since Feb 2004 currently v5.3. I decided to move these onto NetBSD
> 3.0
> > rather than upgrade to FreeBSD 6.x as already using NetBSD for
> > firewall and internet facing server.
> >
> > I first tried with 3.0.1 boot floppy then booting from 3.0 cdrom
> with
> > same result on both servers. Partway through boot process the
> keyboard
> > leds flash on then off, and remain off, then shortly after one of
> > messages is 'kbc: cmd write error' and then hangs at probing for
> isa
> > pnp.
> >
> > Anyone already have a solution to this?
>
> I've now tried with NetBSD 1.6.1 which shows same problem.
> Possibly I have 1.6.1 on one of small hdds (420MB or 240MB) that might
> be worth trying as kernels were well trimmed down for running in only
> 8 MB ram.
>
> Other thing I've tried is to interrupt boot and try boot -c but this
> just causes leds on kbd to flash as before and when userconf prompt
> appears kbd is out of action so getting this working is looking even
> more unlikely.
>
> I've only skimmed through bios options and not found any settings
> related to keyboard but will check again later when I've moved the two
> pcs to a more accessible location (I was expecting this install to go
> very smoothly).

Sorry to keep following up to myself but now have install screen.

A google had only a few hits for this m/b and netbsd and one of hits
seemed not to be relevant as mostly regardung install of os/2 ecs.
This link mentioned usb setting in bios was a problem so I disabled
both and had boot through to installer. Another try with just legacy
usb disabled also gets there.

Now about to try an install of 3.0.1 from the boot floppies and
release mounted over nfs.

David