Subject: Re: AMD GX3 geode support
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/31/2006 22:24:22
--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 06:13:45PM -0700, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> I've got an geode-based IEI WAFER LX 800 3.5" single-board-computer [1]
> it boots and (mostly) runs NetBSD-3, but has some showstopping caveats
> for my application.
>=20
> I've attached the full dmesg, but here's the bits that concern me:
>=20
> * IDE support:
>=20
> pciide0 at pci0 dev 15 function 2
> pciide0: Advanced Micro Devices product 0x209a (rev. 0x01)
> pciide0: bus-master DMA support present, but unused (no driver support)
> pciide0: primary channel wired to compatibility mode
> pciide0: primary channel ignored (other hardware responding at addresses)
> pciide0: secondary channel wired to compatibility mode
> pciide0: secondary channel ignored (not responding; disabled or no drives=
?)
>=20
> performance is poor, as expected.  but it does work.
>=20

Probably could be supported by geodeide(4) or viaide(4)

> * audio:
>=20
> Advanced Micro Devices product 0x2093 (audio multimedia, revision 0x01) a=
t pci0 dev 15 function 3 not configured
>=20
> the codec is an avance logic (realtek) ALC203.  I assume only the glue
> to the AC97 bus is missing to get this working.
>=20
> this is a showstopper for my application.
=20
No, that's not it, there is no driver attaching at all.

> * floating point:
>=20
> npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0-0xff: error reporting broken; not using

This means that neither exception 16 or interrupt 13 is working.

Bit 5 of CR0 looks interesting (not that I know anything).
Bit 13 of XC_MODE_MSR.
XC_HIST_MSR.
Bottom half of page 558, AMD publication 33234D.

>=20
> coincidentally, lack of FPU triggers the long-standing PR6986 [2].  gcc
> is _still_ producing floating point ops in userland that the kernel
> can't emulate.  this keeps me from trying X as well.
>=20
> [1] http://www.ieiworld.com/en/product_IPC.asp?model=3DWAFER-LX
> [2] http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=3D6986
>=20
> --=20

Also it appears the SATA, and a few other misc things aren't
configured.

There appears to be documentation on the security
co-processor (publication 33234D).

	Jonathan Kollasch

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc--