Subject: Re: Can't mount floppies any more
From: Yasir Malik <ymalik@cs.stevens.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/29/2006 19:59:58
> That looks same as here other than I have an extra line for fd1
>
>  inserts 1.44 dos boot floppy
>  mkdir /tmp/floppy
>  mount -t msdos /dev/fd0a /tmp/floppy
>  ls /tmp/floppy
>
> works ok.

That's exactly what I'm doing!  I have AMD setup with setting for
/mnt/floppy, and when I cd into it, I get the same error as mounting the
floppy manually ("invalid argument").

> I assume you've checked that /tmp/floppy exists (just in case you
> have same setup as me where /tmp is cleared out at bootup)?

Yes.

> Only real problem here is I find 1.44MB media very unreliable and
> *nix seems more particular than Windows on what's acceptable. I have
> 20yr old 5.25" floppies that are still readable whilst brand new
> 1.44MB seem to go bad very quickly.

I first noticed I could no longer mount floppies in 2.0_BETA.  Has any
thing changed in the floppy device since 1.6.1?

Thanks,
Yasir