Subject: Re: emergency advice needed
To: Steve Blinkhorn <steve@prd.co.uk>
From: matthew sporleder <msporleder@gmail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/30/2006 13:56:18
On 6/30/06, Steve Blinkhorn <steve@prd.co.uk> wrote:

> In trying to fix some problems on a remote colocated 1.6.2 machine, I
> have inadvertently used 3.0 installation sets - precisely what I was
> trying not to do, but that's a long story.   I still have a telnet
> window open on the  machine, and have the 3.0 kernel available.
>
> Can someone advise on the best way to get the machine to come up under
> 3.0 - my concern is all about the noises made in the docs about /etc.
> Obviously what I want to happen is to get the machine to come up
> multi-user so I can finish the configuration without having to visit
> the site.   I can't use ftp for anything, and there clearly is a
> system call not available in the 1.6.2 kernel.   I *haven't* installed
> the etc installation set, so what is currently there is a fully
> function 1.6.2 configuration.
>
> Aaaargh, to coin a phrase.
(I think "Aaaargh" was coined by Charlie Brown, or someone earlier)

If I remember correctly, 1.6 and 3.0's rc.conf files were pretty
similar, but to be safe, I would install the etc set and use the
settings from your 1.6 rc.conf for rc_configured=YES and any
networking stuff, so you can restart and get networking up.