Subject: Re: Create a swap drive
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Findlay <cfindlay@nbnet.nb.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/08/2006 12:38:36
On 8-Jun-06, at 12:28 PM, Rhialto wrote:

> You should make a swap partition on it using disklabel. Its
> interactive
> mode is probably the easiest. When done, it looks something like this:
>
> # /dev/rwd1d:
> type: unknown
>
> 16 partitions:
> #        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
>  b:   4153968    410319       swap                     # (Cyl.
> 407*-   4528*)
>
> The fstype of 'swap' is the key. Traditionally, the b partition is
> used
> but this is not necessary.
> Then add the swap partition to your /etc/fstab file:
>

> # filesys     mount point       type    access
> dump    fsck
> # location                              + opts
> freq    pass
> /dev/wd1b     none              swap    sw                      0 0
>
> That should do it!
Wish is was that easy :|
Output after making partition:

partition> W
Label disk [n]? y
disklabel: ioctl DIOCWDINFO: No disk label on disk;
use "disklabel -I" to install initial label
Label not written

I tryed disklabel -I -i /dev/wd1d, but it didn't work either :|

Also, when disklabel starts up, it said:

bash-2.05b# disklabel -I -i /dev/wd1d
disklabel: Invalid signature in mbr record 0
partition>

I assume theres something wrong with the MBR record too, but i don't
know how to fix it.

Chuck Findlay