Subject: State of the art in laptop suspension with ACPI, any comments or helpful suggestions?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/22/2006 19:17:00
	Hello.  I don't know if my skill level is high enough, but I've been
recently thinking I might try to see if I can push the state of the art in
NetBSD suspension capabilities on laptop computers with ACPI.  As a
preliminary to that effort, I have a few questions.

1.  Is anyone already working on this issue?  If so, would they mind
corresponding with me about it?

2.  If not, can anyone comment on, or suggest documentation I should read
to familiarize myself with the concepts and API's necessary to complete the
task?

3.  Is there any prior work, prsumably incomplete, which I could use as a
starting point?

	What I'd like to do is figure out how hard it would be to implement
standby and hybernate functions for NetBSD on ACPI laptops.  I'm assuming
one can store the state of the world in swap space, assuming the user
configures enough swap to hold the entire contents of real memory.  Any
reason why this is a crazy idea?

	Any comments, suggestions or observations would be greatly
appreciated. Mind you, I'm not committing to anything yet, just thinking
about it, as it would be really useful to be able to sleep my ACPI capable
laptop.
-Brian