Subject: Re: 3.0 upgrade failed
From: Yasir Malik <ymalik@cs.stevens.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/23/2006 10:30:58
Hello,
I don't think what I said last time about this issue made any sense.  To
recap, what's happening is that after I select the proper boot profile
generated by newbtconf(), I keep getting errors like "Shared object
"libc.so.12" not found error."  These errors happen after the file system
begin to be mounted, daemons begin to be started, etc.  Finally, I get
init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/console, sleeping

I did some investigation, I've come across strange behavior.  I ran sh
from the install system and mounted /dev/wd0a on /mnt and changed /mnt as
my root directory.  I could use vi, less, more, etc. without any problems.
I used ldd to see what vi was linked to, and it was linked to -lcurses.6
=> /usr/lib/libcurses.so.6 and -lc.12 => /usr/lib/libc.so.12.  Both
symlinks were there along with their target files in /lib.
'To see what was in /usr/pkg, I mounted /dev/wd0f on /usr.  After doing so,
I could cd in /usr/pkg and see files, but ever I would try to use pico,
vi, less, more, or even ldd, I would these errors: "Shared object
"libc.so.12" not found error.  However, the shared objects are still there
in /usr/lib and /lib.  When I unmount /usr, vi, more, etc., work fine.

Any clues of why this happens?  I think this is related to why I get the
same errors during boot.

Thanks,
Yasir