Subject: problem with "screenblank"
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.kcn.ne.jp>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/22/2006 13:37:31
I recently installed NetBSD 3.0.0_STABLE on a NEC LaVie NX
(LW33H/73D6).  It has been working VERY well.  The developers
have done a superb job indeed.

I haven't needed a screen saver for a LONG time, but I do remember
that screen-blacking worked perfectly on the console of an old
notebook with 1.4.2 on it.

Anyway, if I try to start screenblank from the console command line,
I get the error: "screenblank: No frame buffer devices, exiting".
When I issue the command `screenblank -d300` from a ssh login shell
(same problem if configured in /etc/rc.conf), the screen does go blank.
BUT ...

The problem is that when I hit a key to get the console back, the
screen is filled with a 40x25 mozaic of colored squares: blue/brown
on the first line, aqua/red on the second, red/aqua on the third, etc.
The red and blue squares flash back and forth between a solid color
and a checkered pattern.  If I hit [Enter] or [Space], the entire
corresponding area turns into a black and white checkered area, not
descernible squares.  The screen is completely unusable.  Killing
screenblank from a ssh login did not restore the console.

If it matters, some info from dmesg:
vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0: Neomagic MagicGraph 128XD (rev. 0x01)
wsdisplay0 at vga1 kbdmux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation).

/etc/rc.conf has "wscons=YES".

Does this problem need a pr, or have I misconfigured something?  TIA

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba.kcn.ne.jp/~home/