Subject: packages and libraries
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Steve Blinkhorn <steve@prd.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/18/2006 17:26:30
I have a specific problem that seems to me an instance of a more
general problem I experience, which I put down to ignorance.
Therefore I seek enlightenment.

I found on a machine running 2.0.2 that xfig would dump core when an
attempt was made to open a file.   It is entirely possible that this
machine has problems resulting from a disk crash, and may need
rebuilding (I thought I had upgraded it to 2.1).   However, no time for
that now, I needed to get xfig running, so I attempted a rebuild from
source.

This failed at the last hurdle, when libraries such as Xi.so could not
be found.   In /usr/X11R6/lib were to be found libXi.so.6 and
libXi.so.6.0, the former being a symbolic link to the latter.

Now it's no big deal to make another link and call it libXi.so, but I
seem to hit this every so often when trying to build a package, and
it's a chore which I cannot believe has been built in deliberately.
The fact that the build process still doesn't pick the library up from
there is, I assume, an unrelated matter: I had to copy it to
/usr/pkg/lib to get it recognised.

Am I missing some morsel of knowledge here?   Is there something I
should be doing to automagically generate the appropriate links?   This
is not just this machine, but I hit the problem infrequently enough
for me to have fixed things by hand in the past.   But the more
machines I have to manage NetBSD on, the more irritating the problem.

Or is there something badly wrong with 2.0.2?

TIA