Subject: Re: firefox-bin failing
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Ed Gould <ed@left.wing.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/12/2006 14:07:18
> That error typically means it's being interpreted by the shell as a shell
> script -- it doesn't have any magic numbers that the kernel recognizes
> (and hence exec fails), so the shell tries to run it itself.
>
> Why that should happen in this case i don't know.

Yes, I knew that much.  I probably should have included that tidbit
plus the following from file(1) in my original query:

> file /usr/pkg/lib/firefox-linux/firefox-bin
/usr/pkg/lib/firefox-linux/firefox-bin: ELF 32-bit LSB executable,
Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked
(uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, stripped

The question is, why isn't the kernel recognizing this as a valid
executable?

	--Ed