Subject: Re: 3.0 upgrade failed
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Witzmann <stephane.witzmann@gmail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/09/2006 18:02:09
Yasir Malik wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I tried upgrading my existing 2.0_Beta to 3.0, and my system won't boot
> here's what I did:
> - I chose upgrade NetBSD on a hard disk.
> - After doing that, I get a message saying "No /etc/fstab in target disk
> wd0.  Aborting upgrade."  The install continues, though.
> - I used existing bootblocks.
> - After doing the install, I get the following message: "The completed new
> root file system failed a basic sanity check.  Are you sure you installed
> all the required sets?"
> - After rebooting and chosing the NetBSD install, I get the following:
> NetBSD/i386 ffsv1 primary bootstap.
> Boot failed (errno 2): Can't open /boot
> Non-system or disk error replace and strike any key when ready.
>
> I've done this twice, but with no luck.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Yasir

I upgraded from 2.1 to 3.0 two days ago. Everything went smooth except that
the install program overwrote my boot blocks with ffsv1 ones (all my
partitions are ffsv2).

Here is what I did:
- boot from install CD, start shell
# mount /dev/wd0a /mnt
# chroot /mnt
# cp /usr/mdec/boot /boot
# installboot -v -o timeout=5 /dev/rwd0a /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv2

[see 'man installboot']

I'm sending a PR right now.

Stéphane Witzmann