Subject: Re: Apple Boot Camp
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/08/2006 16:51:08
--v9Ux+11Zm5mwPlX6

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 04:00:21PM -0700, Matt Thomas wrote:
~~~~~~
>=20
> With the new firmware, the 3.0 i386 boots.  However, once the kernel turns
> on interrupts it wedges.  When I try an ACPI, it should (hopefully) work
> better.

We can hope, you may need fvdl's ACPI IRQ router code though.

How difficult will getting a native EFI bootstrap procedure be?
(That is, assuming Apple is using a standards compliant EFI, I've
seen claims that they are/were not.)

List of needed things:

 * EFI GPT partioning support
  The wedges code for this is in-tree already, I don't think
  it is being built though.
 * GPT version of fdisk
 * mbr_boot/bootxx replacement in EFI loader format
  (Where does this get loaded from?)
 * removal of BIOS dependencies

At least some of the EFI code from the WIP NetBSD/ia64 port can
probably be re-used.

Having support for the new Macs in 4 or 5 would be great (Not that I'd
be using it, but whatever.).

	Wishing he knew more about kernel programing,
	Jonathan Kollasch

--v9Ux+11Zm5mwPlX6

--v9Ux+11Zm5mwPlX6--