Subject: 3.0.0_STABLE X11 problems
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: MLH <mlh@goathill.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/07/2006 15:47:22
I recently upgraded two upgraded two 2.1_STABLE i386 boxes to
3.0.0_STABLE as of Thu Mar 30 cvs sources. Both machines have agp
radeon (9200 and 9600) cards. Both boxes freeze whenever the X
display is brought to the front after the first time in a bootup.

This means that if X11 is started, either by startx or xdm, shut
down and then started again, the box freezes. If the screen X is
running on is pushed to the back (selecting a console) and then
brought back up front again, the box freezes. It also freezes if
a screensaver is started and then stopped, allowing the X11 display
to repaint.

I moxed the std /usr directly completely out of the way and
reinstalled the 3.0.0_STABLE sets again and it behaves the same.

I also ran X11R6 -configure to make sure there were no changes in
the config file (none).

What did I miss here?

Also, I noticed that when I reinstalled all sets anew, there was
no longer an /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm directory. xdm won't start with
this directly missing, even if an /etc/X11/xdm directory is filled
out. Was the xdm directory removed, did the sets not build correctly,
or why does xdm still require /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/* ?

Thanks