Subject: Re: ICH6 SATA
To: John R. Shannon <john@johnrshannon.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/03/2006 13:52:11
On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 11:31:56AM -0600, John R. Shannon wrote:
> Quentin Garnier wrote:
> >On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 10:31:15AM -0600, John R. Shannon wrote:
> >>>
> >>I pirated a LSI Megaraid 150-4 from another system and NetBSD install
> >>and works with this controller. So, it appears that the problem is the
> >>ICH-6 controller.
> >
> >That's one big assumption.  I can tell NetBSD has no trouble on almost
> >all of ICH[567]R? I came across.  Even stuff like the 6300ESB which is
> >mostly an ICH5R.
>
> The problem is that, after installing NetBSD 3.0, I get:
>
> NetBSD MBR boot
> Error No Operating System

The boot code uses the *BIOS* to read the disk; so it is, in fact, the
case that it would work right up until the kernel started even with a
disk controller for which NetBSD had no driver at all.

Whatever the problem is, it's not with NetBSD's support for the ICH6;
rather, it seems to be some kind of partitioning issue.  The MegaRAID
undoubtedly presents a different geometry for the disks than the BIOS's
driver for the ICH6 does; if you look at the difference in geometries,
perhaps it will be easier to tell what's wrong.