Subject: Re: hardware SATA raid advice
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@Pescadero.dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/30/2006 21:10:49
On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 11:02:43AM -0800, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> >I'm using LSI MegaRAID SATA 150-4 on two systems.  One of my servers has
> >8 400GB SATA drives on two of these controllers in RAID-5 configuration.
> >I'm quite pleased with the controller.
> >
> >LSI has some newer devices for which support was very recently added to
> >CURRENT; I have no experience with them.
>
> Can you email me a pointer? Whatever these changes are, they're not in
> amr(4), and my (very quick) scan of source-changes from March 2006
> didn't find them.

You did commit this, didn't you ? :)
revision 1.31
date: 2005/12/11 19:34:47;  author: jonathan;  state: Exp;  lines: +8 -2
branches:  1.31.6;
Add pcidevs entries and support to  amr(4) for newer LSI MegaRAID devices,
including the LSI MegaRAID SCSI 320-0x, 320-2x, 320-4x, 320-1E, 320-2E,
the LSI MegaRAID SATA 300-6x and 300-8x.

Tested on an LSI MegaRAID SATA 300-8x, which confirms private advice
that after PCI-IDs to our amr(4) driver, the newer LSI MegaRAID cards
will Just Work

The Linux megaraid2 driver accepts various Intel cards with the same
pci-device IDs as the LSI MegaRAID cards, treating them exaclty as the
above-listed LSI cards. Rework our amr(4) driver to also match and
attach those device-ID if seen with an Intel vendor-ID. Add the
Intel-vendor PCI decice-ids to pcidevs, so that PCI_VERBOSE will
correctly identify the Intel cards.

Update src/share/man/man4/amr.4 to list the newly-supported cards.
(NB: I don't have the LSI SCSI or any Intel cards to test, just the
LSI SATA, which works fine for me.)

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>