Subject: Re: Dell PowerEdge 1550 hangs at boot.
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Lars-Johan Liman <liman@autonomica.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/17/2006 15:57:32
liman@autonomica.se:
> I'll see what I can do tomorrow. I'm not in the office today.

So, getting back into the loop again.

I can confirm Peter's comments. In my case it's a single-CPU system,
with an on-board SCSI-controller (isp0, I guess), and a AMI PERC RAID
controller on a (in my case) 1 unit PCI raiser. The drives seem to be
connected directly to the PERC, and the SCSI connectors on the mother
board are empty.

What I've done now, is do set my BIOS to disable as many built-in
devices as I could, leaving only the on-board fxp0 (I have another
on-board fxp1 too) and the one and only serial port. I also set
"console redirection" to the serial port. This makes the BIOS output
go to BOTH the VGA and the serial port. I have disabled the on-board
SCSI controller, the second NIC, the fdc, the ATAPI controller for
cd0, and the USB controller.

I have the following installation now:

Using the stock 3.0-REL ISO-image, I booted sysinst, but I then
replaced the CD with the stuff from 3.0_STABLE from 2006-03-13(?), I
then choose full installation, and serial/com0 boot loader, so I have
a 3.0_STABLE GENERIC (VGA) kernel, and 3.0-REL boot blocks.

With this it I get the boot loader prompt both on VGA and on the
serial port and I get the green probing output only on the VGA.  It
still finds cd0 (disabled!), but not fd0 (also disabled), and it still
hangs right after cd0: ..., when I exptect it to say "boot on ...;
swap on ...".

I did break to kernel-DB, and the trace is below. It should give you a
hint.

Now to the real magic. I can make _exactly_ this configuration boot,
by doing the following.

Reset the box. Wait (either at the VGA or on the serial port) for the
boot loader to prompt. Hit "any key" to stop the auto-boot timer.
Type "consdev com0" to the boot loader. Then say "boot", and it will
boot as if nothing was a problem in the world.

Explain that one to me, please ... ! :-)

Here's the trace. No hex codes. Sorry, my day has been hell anyway,
and I have to copy by hand from VGA. Tell me if more info is crucial,
but you'll have to wait 3 weeks for that. (Long travel.)

cpu_Debugger
internal_command
wskbd_translate
wskbd_input