Subject: quickest way to load netbsd on a linux machine?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/21/2006 22:11:46
okay.  sorry if this is a noob question, but i didn't see an easy way to
do this in the INSTALL document:

i've got a machine with linux loaded on it (Java Desktop), VIA C3
processor.  i've cleared up the old /home partition which is plenty big
enough for NetBSD.  Boot loader is GRUB.

the kicker is that i don't have any kind of external bootable media on
it.   No floppy or CDROM.  I could go out and buy a USB drive to boot
from, but I don't want to do that for just this experiment.

can i some how use the linux load to set up a partition with NetBSD on
it, and configure GRUB to use it?  Ala sparc64 miniroot.tgz?

Or somehow execute into a kernel from Linux?

Or even just drop an Install kernel on on prepared filesystem using dd
and then tell grub to boot it?

Or do I have to somehow use PXE and boot it off the network?  (Which is
how Linux got loaded onto it. :-)

Oh yeah, I don't want to clobber the Linux install.  Its the only
machine I have running it, and I still occasionally need to boot it for
testing some Linux-only software interop stuff.

Any advice is appreciated.

The other issue is that ftp.netbsd.org doesn't seem to have any i386
builds in the NetBSD-daily/HEAD directory.  Is something going on that
is preventing i386 builds from completing for the past week or so?
Anywhere I can get prebuilt sets, I'd rather not have to build this from
scratch if I can avoid it.

Thanks!

    -- Garrett

General Dynamics C4 Systems