Subject: Re: Thinkpad T42 Power Management
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Rui Paulo <rpaulo@fnop.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/03/2006 00:29:21
George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net> writes:

> while we're on power mgt and ACPI, is there a loose roadmap for ACPI to
> have the userspace hooks to support powerd and the like, so we get
> speedstep and other goodness which right now is only in APM?
>
> I know there are bound to be some MI issues here, but 99.99998% of the
> laptop world is Intel/AMD+ACPI now, and it would be neat (tm) to be
> able to use it.

I know our ACPI support isn't great but you can already do intresting
things with it:
% envstat -r                                                                [~]
    acpiacad0 connected
       acpibat0 present
    acpibat0 design cap:      4.400 Ah
 acpibat0 last full cap:      4.048 Ah
    acpibat0 technology:          1
acpibat0 design voltage:     14.400 V
      acpibat0 warn cap:      0.300 Ah ( 7.41%)
       acpibat0 low cap:      0.132 Ah ( 3.26%)
       acpibat0 voltage:     16.763 V
        acpibat0 charge:      4.048 Ah (100.00%)
    acpitz0 temperature:     63.000 degC
% ls /etc/powerd/scripts/                                                   [~]
acadapter*      lid_switch*     power_button*   reset_button*   sleep_button*

--
Rui Paulo - rpaulo@fnop.net