Subject: Re: telnet, login, but no ipv6 stuff
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <pino@dohd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/29/2006 21:01:43
It occurred to me that Marc Coevoet wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.ports.i386:
> I did what's here:
> http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/theobald/#first-things-
> first_configuring-for-networking  (setting up)

Hmm, that page is specific for running NetBSD on the Motorola 68K macintoshes,
and probably not a good general purpose resource. Try the NetBSD guide instead.

> "Finally, to allow yourself to log-in via telnet from the other
> machines on your LAN. Edit /etc/inetd.conf. And un-comment (ie remove
> the # at the beginning of the line) the things you want to use. This
> will usually be ftp, telnet, shell, and login. "

One word of advice: Unless you really *need* telnet, shell and login[1], I
wouldn't open them to the world. You're probably better off with ssh - in
addition to it being more secure, it has several nice features (like
X-forwarding, tunneling, etc).

put

sshd="yes"

into /etc/rc.d, and run

/etc/rc.d/sshd start

to start it. It'll automagically be started whenever you reboot.

> I uncommented all lines except the ipv6 ones.  That gives an error at
> boot time, and I can not login ...

What error? How are you trying to login, anyway? You can't really expect us to
help if you're not giving us detailed information.

Martijn

PS: This is very inappropriate for port-i386. Please use netbsd-help or
    netbsd-users for these kind of mail in the future. port-i386 is intended
    for discussion regarding specific i386-issues.

[1] Sometimes there's not a lot of choice, if you're running archaic
    hardware.
--
    Martijn van Buul - pino@dohd.org - http://www.stack.nl/~martijnb/
	 Geek code: G--  - Visit OuterSpace: mud.stack.nl 3333