Subject: Re: 3.0 Very Slow?
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Douglas Wade Needham <cinnion@ka8zrt.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/20/2006 17:19:34
	version=3.0.3
Sender: port-i386-owner@NetBSD.org

Quoting Perry E. Metzger (perry@piermont.com):

> Douglas Wade Needham <cinnion@ka8zrt.com> writes:
> > My latest pkgsrc build, with pkgsrc updated to a Jan 12 (from the
> > trunk), completed in 99304 seconds.  Same base 3.0 build (so same
>
> As I said... WHAT VERSION OF THE COMPILER. Newer versions of gcc are
> dramatically slower.

Well, I had figured that since I said that I had built the 2.1 release
and the 3.0 release from cvs using build.sh, and that the pkgsrc
builds were done chrooted into these trees that you might have deduced
that I was using the officially released versions.  But, I guess not
(or you are quintuple checking), so here are the versions

    2.0.2
	gcc (GCC) 3.3.3 (NetBSD nb3 20040520)
    2.1
	gcc (GCC) 3.3.3 (NetBSD nb3 20040520)
    3.0
	gcc (GCC) 3.3.3 (NetBSD nb3 20040520)

All of these versions are coming from the release specific sandbox
into which I chroot to do the pkgsrc builds prior to rdisting to my
servers.

- Doug

--
Douglas Wade Needham - KA8ZRT        UN*X Consultant & UW/BSD kernel programmer
Email:  cinnion @ ka8zrt . com       http://cinnion.ka8zrt.com