Subject: Fwd: NetBSD on a IBM Thinkpad T30
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: David Mattli <david.mattli@gmail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/15/2006 19:56:59
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Mattli <david.mattli@gmail.com>
Date: Jan 15, 2006 7:56 PM
Subject: Re: NetBSD on a IBM Thinkpad T30
To: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu>

On 1/15/06, Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu> wrote:
> In message <4641d87c0601151412y21a27fb7p8e8614b7f57dff31@mail.gmail.com>,=
 David
>  Mattli writes:
> >> Odd -- it works fine in my daughter's R51, running 3.0.  What problem
> >> are you having?
> >>
> >>                 --Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb
> >
> >This is the error I get on boot:
> >apm0 at mainbus0: bogus 32-bit code segment start
> >apm0: kernel APM support disabled.
> >
> >My specific model is 2883-GKU.
> >Did you have to do anything special to get apm working?
> >

> Are you running GENERIC_LAPTOP?  At some point, someone included acpi
> in that kernel, which causes problems for my T42.  On -current, I have
> a custom kernel that includes
>
>         no acpi0                at mainbus0
>
> but I don't remember if 'no' is supported on 3.0.  My daughter is also
> running a custom kernel.  Anyway, I get that message if I boot the ACPI
> version; the fix is to build a kernel that doesn't have it.
>
>                 --Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

What version of NetBSD is she running? I am running 3.0. I have indeed
been using GENERIC_LAPTOP that came on the iso. I downloaded the sys
sources. The GENERIC_LAPTOP config seems to have everything related to
acpi commented out. I recompiled using that configuration and there
was no change. What is the difference between starting a line with
'no' as opposed to commenting it out?

-David Mattli