Subject: Re: NetBSD on a IBM Thinkpad T30
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/12/2006 16:07:46
On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 12:55:51 +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:

> I've borrowed an IBM Thinkpad T30 and installed NetBSD 3.0 on it which
> works very well. The only problem is that the serial port (if the DB9
> plug on the back is indeed a serial port) isn't detected and that the
> it detects the printer port as "lpt2" using polled mode.
>
> lpt2 at isa0 port 0x3bc-0x3bf irq : polled
>
> Is there any way to get the serial port working at all and to get the
> parallel port working in interrupt driven mode?

Re lpt, I have T41p and in its BIOS the lpt is configured at 0x3bc,
irq 7.  Our GENERIC (and other configs) have lpt2 at that address, but
that line doesn't specify irq, so you end up with the polled mode.
Just Comment out the standard set of lpt attachments and add instead:

    lpt0 at isa? port 0x3bc irq 7

Don't know about the com port (T41p doesn't have DB9 connector), but
check the BIOS settings too.

Or may be try a pnpbios enabled kernel.

SY, Uwe
http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/          |       Ist zu Grunde gehen