Subject: Re: Looping "NetBSD MBR boot"
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/04/2006 21:59:13
On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 07:22:10PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> I've got a couple of IBM Intellistation M Pro machines, running NetBSD
> 3.0, one with a pair of SCSI drives, one with a pair of IDE drives. Both
> have run into a strange problem where on boot they just print ""NetBSD
> MBR boot" over and over again. Re-running installboot(8) seems to fix
> the problem.

This is a known problem [1] with disklabel, given a blank drive it has
a habit of copying sector 0 to the first sector of the partition.

This is fixed in current, but disklabel needed a rototil to fix
the problem properly.

2.0 had the same problem - but didn't have the message from the
boot code, so the machine appeared to lock up.

	David

[1] I can't remember the PR number...

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk