Subject: USB keyboard + wscons issues
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org, port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/30/2005 03:06:23
I wasn't sure if this is i386 specific or not, so it's going to both lists.
Anyhow, I've discovered a problem since switching to a USB keyboard: if I'm
running in X, and I switch virtual consoles to a normal text console while X
is still running, the keyboard is totally unresponsive.

my Keyboard entry in XF86Config is:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbRules" "xfree86"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
        Option      "Protocol" "wskbd"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/wskbd"
EndSection

I'm running 3.99.10, on an A7V880 motherboard with an Athlon XP 2700+ and
1GB ram (just in case it's a usb controller issue, which i doubt) with a Sun
Type 6 USB (unix layout) keyboard.

A couple questions:

1) is there any command to switch virtual consoles from a text console? for
example, right now, if I accidentally switch out of X, I have to ssh in from
another machine and kill off kdm to get the keyboard back. I suspect that if
I could merely switch back to the console X is running on, it'd be fine.

2) is it possible to (without modding the kernel) change the key combo
required to switch virtual consoles? I commonly use shift-alt-f3 to maximize
konsoles in KDE, and it's easy to hit control instead of shift by mistake.

Thanks,
-Sean