Subject: Re: rfc: patch fixes pxeboot on soekris
To: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/21/2005 07:53:03
On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 11:43:22PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> I have attached a patch that fixes PXE-booting on Soekris boxen, which
> hang at pxe_call(PXENV_UNLOAD_STACK).  If this patch will not adversely
> affect PXE-booting on other systems, I will check it in.

> -	pxe_call(PXENV_UNLOAD_STACK);

I'd like to understand why that change makes such a difference.
Since (IIRC) the call itself returns, it must be overwriting something.
Determining 'what' might help sort out 'why' and avoid other problems.

One likely problem is the stack crashing into the bss.  The pxeboot doesn't
use the modified address map (allowing code+data+stack > 64k) that the
normal boot uses these days.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk