Subject: Re: Running SMP port-i386 on dual core AMD64 chips
To: Jeff Rizzo <riz@NetBSD.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/14/2005 18:50:58
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Jeff Rizzo wrote:

> My experience with the asus a8v (non-deluxe) with dual-core athlon 3800
> x2  is that GENERIC.MPACPI/amd64 does not work on it, though GENERIC.MP
> _does_.  I've successfully run a non-MP i386 kernel on it;  as soon as
> it finishes the build, I'll try the MP i386 version and let you know.
>
> (Thus far, I've had nothing but bad luck with our ACPI code, never
> actually having gotten _any_ system to work with it.  This keeps me from
> using it much  :)

 	I've been a little more fortunate on the ACPI front - I've had
 	one AMD Athlon Shuttle which choked on boot and one old PII which
 	seemed have have a pathological kernel memory under 2.x but all
 	my other i386 boxes (including a non SMP Asus A8V) run ACPI
 	kernels. In some cases (laptops etc), the ACPI actually works
 	much better than non. Not running any amd64 kernels yet... :)