Subject: Re: T30 crashing after resume when switching to X with current
To: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/13/2005 20:33:16
In message <20051014093310.36f95a97@garlic.apnic.net>, George Michaelson writes
:

>same with IBM X31. Its r128 display engine.
>
>You may notice this also happens if you quit X, and then restart.
>
>I notice when I quit X that gconf is still running, I wondered if there
>is a problem when x-related clients don't quit, but I can't see how (a)
>this causes a lockup and (b) when it would have been introduced.
>
>-George

I have no such problems with a T42.  It will occasionally crash on
resume, but *very* occasionally, and I suspend/resume at least twice a
day and often much more frequently.  On the other hand, my daughter
reports similar problems (on 2.0.2 and 3.0beta) on her R51.  I had
suspected an APM event handling problem (that would also explain my
problems when the display is blanked by the BIOS), but maybe it's due
to the video card.