Subject: Re: WD_SOFTBADSECT & WD_QUIRK_FORCE_LBA48 usage ...
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/06/2005 19:44:00
On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 22:30:22 +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

>> 2)  Use the WD_QUIRK_FORCE_LBA48 feature.   Can you briefly explain
>> this feature to me as well?
>
> It's only usefull for large drives, and known to be usefull only for
> some seagate drives. Recent seagate drives have a broken firmware, which
> rejects an I/O request to sector 0xfffffff (aka 128GB-1) when this request
> is done in LBA mode, it's accepted properly when using LBA48 commands.
> The workaround is to use LBA48 for sector 0xfffffff on these drives.
> If your drives are not seagates, or smaller than 128GB, you won't need
> this.

Speaking about LBA48 - does it need support from the IDE controller?

Will a drive larger than 128GB work on this?

cmdide0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0
cmdide0: CMD Technology PCI0646 (rev. 0x01)
cmdide0: bus-master DMA support present
cmdide0: primary channel wired to compatibility mode
cmdide0: primary channel interrupting at isa irq 14
atabus0 at cmdide0 channel 0
cmdide0: secondary channel wired to compatibility mode
cmdide0: secondary channel interrupting at isa irq 15
atabus1 at cmdide0 channel 1

Pavel