Subject: Re: Audio skipping/key repeats - NetBSD 2.x to 3.x
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/04/2005 06:11:15
phaeton@circe.entropie.net.entropie.net ("Martin S. Weber") writes:

>I'll come back to you (the list) if that is really solving my
>hiccups. Ooooh. And if it is, it's not only dhclient triggering
>the problem (referring to kern/30505 now) but also ntpd.

The problem is triggered by autonegotiation taking place. This
has been a problem since ever, but few people ever complained.

The problem is now also triggered by a 16 second timer that
resets fxp. This timer was introduced as a workaround to
a bug in some fxp hardware variants. I have yet to see
a hardware with that bug.

To me, the workaround needs to be disabled (or enabled
for only very very specific chips where the bug is known)
and the busy-loop in the autonegotiation code needs to be
removed.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv@serpens.de