Subject: Re: agp in installation kernel not wanted
To: Ja'far Railton <ibn.richard@gmail.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/02/2005 09:43:21
Ja'far Railton <ibn.richard@gmail.com> writes:
> I can't even try a memory key boot because my BIOS only has a USB
> floppy boot option - nothing for USB HDD.

It probably *will* boot off of USB key if you bought it in the last
year. Just try. It probably will just work. My thinkpad, which is
older, "just works".

You can also just burn a new CD with the image you want. Also, USB
floppy drives cost only $20 or so and are handy to have around.

> I guess I can try a netboot from my other laptop, once
> I read through the howtos and get it set up.

That's pretty easy to set up. You don't even actually need to set up
NFS -- you can just directly netboot an INSTALL kernel from tftp.

> I'm surprised that I can't get a working installation on this
> Thinkpad, which I had thought was *the* laptop choice for NetBSD...

I'm typing this on a thinkpad right now.

Perry