Subject: Re: cool AMD
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20050719@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/19/2005 11:44:48
Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk> writes:
> I would like to just run the chip at 1800MHz under NetBSD, watching
> viaenv(4) and hope to say "it's fine, it's just an overzealous
> windows probe programme", however, it could be that it really is
> getting hot, so do I risk frying the CPU?

What does a real thermometer say when you measure the heatsink?

Athlon32's don't seem to have a very reliable thermal sensing system.
My old athlon system says its 50 C when the heatsink (and cpu!) are
cool to the touch.  I've just learned to mentally subtract 15 C.  Your
sensor may be more whacked out than mine, so it might be good to get
an independent reading with a known-good thermometer.

Ironically the new athlon64's can be cooler than the old athlons32's.
At the wall plug, my otherwise similar athlon32 and athlon64 take
roughly the same power (129w vs. 133w) under BSD.  An athlon64 under
powernow-k8 control (eg. under Linux) drops the power another 45watt
(88w vs. 133w).  The athlon64 trick of lowering the voltage from 1.5v
to 1.1v (or so) under light load saves quite a bit of power and
needless CPU heating.

-wolfgang
     Imagine what air travel would be like today if Richard Reid
	     had hidden the bomb in his underwear.  -anon