Subject: Re: interesting problem?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/09/2005 07:42:14
In article <200507090503.j6953XV26624@toad.rmkhome.com>,
	Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com> writes:
> The box is a P200 with a circa 1996 BIOS. The disk is an IBM Deskstar 20 gig
> loaded with early 2.0. While the system seems to have a limit of 8 gigs in
> the auto detect mode, the generic kernel on the disk sees 20 gigs when it is
> booting.

That shouldn't matter as long as the partition with the kernel (probably the
root partition) is in the first 8GB of the disk.

> When I boot with "-s", the system goes through the boot process and comes up
> with:
>
> init: single use shell terminated, restarting
> enter pathname of shell or hit enter for /bin/ksh
>
> It loops on the above regardless of shell entered.

1.) Try "/rescue/sh" as the shell. Your shared libraries might be corrupt
2.) Boot from an installation floppy and check the filesystems with "fsck".

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/