Subject: Re: bootselector questions
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/29/2005 13:22:06
On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 07:37:53PM +0200, Jukka Salmi wrote:
> I'm using -current built using sources from 2005/05/23, and I don't see
> what you describe. I have four MBR partitions: one for Win XP (type 135),
> one for NetBSD (169), an extended partition (5) for Linux, and a hiber-
> nation partition (160). My NetBSD partition is active, and it stays
> active even if I boot NT or Linux. Nothing changes in the MBR, no matter
> what the bootselector selects.
>
> So maybe I'm missing something, but I can't get it to work as you
> described...

The NetBSD boot selector code doesn't do this.. And I'm not sure I would
like it to. It would need to write to the MBR (or some other disk area)
to mark which partition was last booted, and I don't want a bootselector
to write to my disks. There would also be very little space (well, no
space really) available to do this in the assembly code.

- Frank