Subject: Re: Updating NetBSD and PKGSRC
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/21/2005 10:39:07
Hi,

On Sat, 21 May 2005, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> > A CVS update only works, if you got your pkgsrc by cvs export. Otherwise, all
> > those CVS directories and the files in them are either missing or contain the
> > wrong data.
>
> That's not right.  'cvs export' fetches a copy of the source tree but
> _removes_ the CVS directories from it, so you cannot later do an update.
> OTOH, 'cvs checkout' is what you want, as it keeps the CVS directories
> in your working copy.

A matter of reading. I didn't mean "cvs export" as command, but a cvs export as
in "cvs commit" :)

cvs export needs a tag (or date) and creates a "shippable" export without
repository information and so not updateable.

cvs checkout creates a working copy of the repository, which is updateable like
mentioned in the docs (cvs update -Pd).

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX