Subject: Re: Updating NetBSD and PKGSRC
To: Robert Zagarello <bzag0@yahoo.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/21/2005 07:19:49
Hi,

On Fri, 20 May 2005, Robert Zagarello wrote:
> The Guide says I can use cvs update -Pd for PKGSRC
> while the install manual says to delete pkgsrc
> altogether and download the entire package source
> again.

A CVS update only works, if you got your pkgsrc by cvs export. Otherwise, all
those CVS directories and the files in them are either missing or contain the
wrong data.
It's a good idea, to keep a CVS mirror of NetBSD at home for such things.

> I'm interested in the update method - does the update
> method delete older versions or just write new ones,
> or is it simply dependent on the name, etc?  I'd
> rather find out this way then risk a reinstall at this
> point.

Look for a CVS directory in your pkgsrc. There should be one in each directory,
but checking in toplevel should be enough. If it exists, check for a File
"Root" and have a look at the contents. If this is a working CVSROOT, you can
use cvs update. Otherwise, you should either download the pkgsrc package or
start using CVS for this.

You seem to want to update your whole system. Upgrading pkgsrc just upgrades
the build information, you have to update all the packages afterwards.

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX