Subject: Re: Problems with VIA tech EDEN ESP CPU core.
To: Dan LaBell <dan4l-nospam@verizon.net>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/05/2005 20:03:59
On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 03:53:06AM -0500, Dan LaBell wrote:

> I notice that the new version claims to preserve all registers, the old
> version doesn't. And while searching for the definition in 1.6, I found
> some calls with lines like "movb %ah, %bh   # save error code"
> preceding it, but in 2.0 there is still some -- seems weird if its
> actually preserving all registers.

Some of the calling code is basically unchanged from 1.6, so still assumes
%eax might be trashed.  Although the changes would be trivial, they
would have to be tested - and testing some of the boot code isn't
trivial.... (especially if you actually want to try the error paths!)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk