Subject: boot problems on VIA EPIA boards - patch
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/04/2005 12:28:01
For those folks with non-booting EPIA boards, could you please try this
patch?

http://frog.coolfactor.org/~gavan/epia_hack.diff

It works on my ML5000, and I'd like to get some data on whether it works
for other people, too.

Also, here's a challenge. If you can come up with a satisfactory
explanation of *why* this patch works, and some experiments to
demonstrate the correctness of the explanation, you get a cookie.

My assessment is that this is a CPU bug, and that this patch is flushing
internal buffers that the ljmp should have done. Again, why the 1.6
bootloader didn't hit this bug, I don't know.

Any theories or opinions welcome!

(please CC me on replies, as I'm not currently subscribed to port-i386)

--
Gilette - the best a man can forget