Subject: Re: cpuflags and pentium M
To: Ja'far Railton <zen25058@zen.co.uk>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/24/2005 18:56:07
On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 00:42 +0307, Ja'far Railton wrote:
> Mine dmesg only has:
>
> cpu0 at mainbus0: (uniprocessor)
> cpu0: Intel Pentium Pro, II or III (686-class), 1598.73 MHz, id 0x6d6
> cpu0: features afe9fbbf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR>
> cpu0: features afe9fbbf<PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,CFLUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX>
> cpu0: features afe9fbbf<FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,TM,SBF>
>
> ?? I remember that once (upon a time) cpuflags gave the -march=pentium3
> output but it only happened once. It might have been when I was running
> a different kernel (I have experimented with different builds - from
> 2.0_STABLE to -current and back now to 2.0.2 (from a clean install)).
>
> Any ideas? And why does my dmesg not say Pentium M like it does on the
> outside of this Acer laptop? Am I missing something in the kernel conf?

2.0.2 doesn't properly identify a Pentium M "Dothan" processor; this was
added to HEAD in revision 1.15 of sys/arch/i386/i386/identcpu.c, which
doesn't appear to have been pulled up to the 2.0 branch.

Since cpuflags uses the hw.model (among other) sysctls to determine
where it is running, it's unable to properly identify your processor and
falling back to a configuration known to work on generic i686 machines.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jared