Subject: Re: IBM Thin client
To: f f <unearthlyspectre@yahoo.com>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/14/2005 23:09:34
> Hello, list. Where to begin? Well, I recently got an
> IBM thin client (it says model GXX), and it runs
> Linux. Unfortunately, I don't have the root password,
> and I'd rather install NetBSD on it. I opened it up
> and took a look inside. It has no hard drive, but it
> does have a 128MB compact Flash module, as well as
> 128MB of RAM. I think it has a Pentium (it said i586
> on the chip).
>
> So, in order to install NetBSD on it, I need some
> help.
>
> A) Does NetBSD support mounting a flash module as the
> root filesystem?

good question is "how does this flash module looks from software point of
view?"

often it emulates IDE disk so it should work fine.

> B) How would I even install it (seeing as I have no CD
> rom drive for it, and a network install is not an
> option)?

do you have USB-flash plug somewhere and can you remove this flash module
from it and connect to another computer.

if it's PC-compatible hardware you should be able to at least partition it
on another computer, install boot loader and INSTALL kernel and then run
it on this IBM and try network install.

128MB is quite limited for NetBSD but not so much. you may use NFS server
for /usr.

> C) Is the i586 supported? [The only stupid question is
> one not asked  = )  ]

of course.

> D) Does NetBSD support Apple mice and keyboards
> (seeing as those are the only USB mice/keyboards I
> have available right now)?

yes