Subject: Re: KDE 3.4.0 working?
To: Mark Weinem <mark.weinem@onlinehome.de>
From: Dave Tyson <Dave.Tyson@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/11/2005 13:52:15
On Monday 11 April 2005 13:27, Mark Weinem wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Bastiaan Welmers wrote:
> > I there somebody that got kde 3.4.0 working on a netbsd 2.0 box? I
> > compiled it but kdm does not work (kdmgreet crashed) and other
> > programs don't seem to work either (screen stays blank after startkde,
> > konqueror creashes, etc).
>
> Most of it works here on 2.0/i386 - even kdm. But I got  some strange
> system and keyboard freezes using kdm. Without kdm X11 and KDE run
> flawless.
>
> Greetings, Mark Weinem

I have also found a few problems using kdm with kde3.4 on 2.0.2/i386. I think
the issues are also in kde3.2/3 as well

If kdm is started up from rc.d on bootup then I have sometimes found that the
keyboard is completely unresponsive although the mouse works OK.  Even
shift+alt+f1 etc doesn't work. This doesn't happen if kdm is started manually
from root after the system has booted up completely.

Another problem seen regularly with kde invoked from kdm is a flood of X
events which look like a key is being held down (when it isn't).  This can be
triggered by opening up a Konsole window, editting a file and pressing a
cursor key a few times to move down the file. The symptoms are like the auto
key repeat code goes into overdrive and the resulting events completely
overwhelm the system.  This problem does not happen with kde invoked from
startx. Is anyone seeing this sort of issue?

Cheers,
Dave
Computing Services Dept         Phone/Fax: 0151-794-3731/3759
The University of Liverpool     Email: dtyson@liv.ac.uk
Chadwick Tower, Peach Street    WWW:   http://www.liv.ac.uk/~dtyson
Liverpool L69 7ZF               Open Source O/S: www.netbsd.org