Subject: Re: wm0 receive overrun after adding lsi fibre channel card.
To: Jonathan Kay <jpk@panix.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/25/2005 10:12:08
On Feb 24, 2005, at 9:14 AM, Jonathan Kay wrote:

> looking up whats actually in the 600sc, it has 1 pci bus--64/bit 33mhz.
> oops.  though fwiw, the dell PE 1600sc (which has 3 pci buses: 1 PCI-X,
> 1 @ 64/66mhz and 1 and 32/33mhz) has an onboard wm0 which claims to be
> runninat @ 32/33mhz too.

But the on-board wm on that is board is probably on the 32/33 bus, and
not on the others.

> the 3ware RAID isn't doing anything any more--the system / and /usr
> live
> on it--all the IO goes to the Xserve RAID now..

What model 3ware RAID do you have?  Is it 64/66?

> aside from the wm, twe, and mpt there are just some USB and IDE
> controllers. the USB & IDE don't really get used--I could probably
> disable them all.

It doesn't matter if they're enabled or not... they're still
electrically connected to the PCI bus.

Anyway, you are almost certainly saturating that PCI bus.  I would
recommend getting another system with a less suck-ful mainboard.

-- thorpej