Subject: Re: SOLVED NetBSD 2.0 fails to start on PCChips M848LU (v1.2)
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Carl Benedict <cbenedic@pittsburghtechs.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/30/2005 20:49:18
On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 21:28, Carl Benedict wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have the above mentioned PCChips M848LU (v1.2) motherboard[1].  I
> tried to install NetBSD 2.0 on it from the i386cd.iso, and from the boot
> floppies (boot1.fs and boot2.fs), with no success.  Upon booting from
> the CD/floppy, I get the following:
>
> ****
>
> NetBSD/i386 ustartfs Primary Bootstrap
>
> >> NetBSD/i386 BIOS Boot, Revision 3.1
> >> (builds@build, Wed Dec 1, 10:30:14 UTC 2004)
> >> Memory: 639/523200 k
>
> Press return to boot now, any other key for boot menu
>
> Booting fd0a:netbsd - starting in 0
>
> 3692492-
>
> ****
>
> And the system locks right there and I have to power it down.  I believe
> I experienced the same behavior with NetBSD 1.6, but never went any
> further.  I've been meaning to try NetBSD on a fast(er)
> desktop/workstation-class machine.  I've really only made it into
> firewalls at this point, or put it on laptops.  I was unable to find
> anything in the list archives that was similar and applicable.  I don't
> think there have been any revisions to the BIOS since the release of
> this board, so I haven't tried an update. Any suggestions?
>
> [1]
> http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?MenuID=24&LanID=0&DetailID=225&DetailName=Specification

I was able to resolve this issue by disabling "USB Function For DOS" in the BIOS
under "Features Setup".  I had this enabled to allow me to use my USB keyboard and
mouse during the interim period between BIOS and OS.  One I installed NetBSD 2.0,
this is no longer an issue as I'm using GRUB to dual boot Linux/BSD, and GRUB handles
this just fine.  I am able to consistently reproduce this error by trying to boot
from NetBSD installation media of any type with this feature enabled.

Thanks,

Carl

--
Carl Benedict