Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 fails to start on PCChips M848LU (v1.2)
To: Carl Benedict <cbenedic@pittsburghtechs.com>
From: Kentaro A. Kurahone <kurahone@sigusr1.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/26/2005 20:41:32
On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 09:28:37PM -0500, Carl Benedict wrote:
[snip]
> And the system locks right there and I have to power it down.  I believe
> I experienced the same behavior with NetBSD 1.6, but never went any
> further.  I've been meaning to try NetBSD on a fast(er)
> desktop/workstation-class machine.  I've really only made it into
> firewalls at this point, or put it on laptops.  I was unable to find
> anything in the list archives that was similar and applicable.  I don't
> think there have been any revisions to the BIOS since the release of
> this board, so I haven't tried an update. Any suggestions?
>
> [1]
> http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?MenuID=24&LanID=0&DetailID=225&DetailName=Specification

From the webpage:
  M848LU V1.2 is the most advance and unique module from
  PCCHIPS production. It supports Socket A for Athlon XP CPU,
  up to 333MHz FSB, DDR400 by overcloking, and AGP8X.
  It is surely the best choice for you now.

  * This specification is done by the overclocking technique.
    However, the overclocking technique might come with certain
    risks that we can not guarantee a normal operation with
    such a technique.

That seems slightly worrysome....

--
Kentaro A. Kurahone