Subject: Re: ACPI suspend support.
To: None <kurahone@sigusr1.org>
From: Takayoshi Kochi <kochi@NetBSD.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/26/2005 00:26:10
Hi,

> Originally posted to tech-kern, but most of the issues are i386 specific:
>
> Is there anyone currently working on the ACPI code?  The laptop I've been
> using recently doen't support APM at all, and having suspend would be nice.

I'm listed as a maintainer for acpi in doc/RESPONSIBLE, but I haven't
had time to work on acpi related issues recently.

> That being said, I've poked at the code a bit, mainly by cribbing from the
> FreeBSD 5 tree, and http://people.su.se/~lha/patches/netbsd/acpi-wakeup-1

The patch looks like one from Shiozaki-san's patch, posted a long time
ago.  As Jason already pointed out, the apm interface is not recommended,
and more generic one should be used.

> It looks like S1 suspend will "Just Work" since the hardware takes care of
> everything.  Laptop doen't implement that though so I can't test it. :/
>
> S3 suspend needs the acpi-wakeup-1 patch, slightly modified wakeup code,
> and lots and lots of new powerhooks.  With those changes it half works
> though I still need to add some more code before it's what I'd consider
> "usable".

IMO, powerhook interface should also be reconsiderd for supporting
suspend or software suspend (hibernation).  Just using the current
interface will never improve maintenanceability in the long run.
So I think the patch isn't mergeable to the tree.

With that said, if you can work on this area, it's very welcome!

---
Takayoshi Kochi