Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 install hangs
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/09/2005 23:06:18
In article <41E19D4F.3040509@tastylime.net>,
	Jeff Rizzo <riz@tastylime.net> writes:
> Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
>>In article <e5de4a30501081008111192ec@mail.gmail.com>,
>>	Avtar Gill <avtargill@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>>I am trying to install the NetBSD 2.0 release on a computer which has
>>>an Intel D915GEV desktop board.  When I boot using the install CD, the
>>>boot process stalls at a line which states "wd0 at atabus1 drive 0".
>>>The box contains a Western Digital Caviar SE Serial ATA 7200 RPM 250GB
>>>hard drive.
>>>
>>The Intel D915GEV has an ICH6 ata chip?  Manuel Bouyer recently
>>added support for that to current. I suggest your best bet, for
>>something that new, would be to run and track current, targetting
>>NetBSD 3.0.  Unfortunately, releng's autobuild machine took a
>>powder late last year, and there do not seem to be any current
>>snapshots available to download.
>
> Just as an FYI, I periodically compile -current for i386, and make the
> result available as an ISO, for any who care to download, at
> http://www.tastylime.net/netbsd/ .
>
> The most recent at the moment is from early January, but I'll probably
> be building another next week.

Hey great! Thanks! January is recent enough for ICH6 support.
A December 2 CD-ROM worked for me on a SuperMicro P8SCi, which is
also a PCI Express motherboard with an Intel ICH6 SATA controller.
(I just committed the tweak to get the Broadcom 5721 ethernet to
work, if anyone else has one of those.)

There was a problem for a couple of days last week with "libkvm" that
may bite you, that manifested as "top" not working, but that wouldn't
affect the installation.

Frederick