Subject: Re: About to put a sledgehammer through my keyboard
To: Roger Ivie <rivie@ridgenet.net>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/06/2005 14:12:43
On 6-Jan-05, at 1:55 PM, Roger Ivie wrote:
> Doesn't fix the problem; the character sent by the backspace key still
> jumps back and forth. Example:
>
>> stench> stty erase ^X    <---- So you can see what backspace sends
>> stench> ^?^?             <---- here I press backspace twice
>> ^?^?: Command not found.
>> stench> ^H^H             <--- Here I scroll up and down with the
>>                               scrollbar, then press backspace twice
>
> The character sent by the backspace key has changed! Why, and what do I
> do about it?

What you have there is some sort of alien infestation in your computer.
I would start brute-force debugging it.

Maybe start up xev and cause the symptom. Then look through the
transcript to see if any window-manager setting or similar is remapping
your keys on you, or something like that...

Disable your .profile/.bashrc/.tcshrc/.cshrc/.whatever, log out, log
back in, try to reproduce the problem.

etc ....  I can't think of anything that would cause that to happen
except something on your machine trying to be too smart....