Subject: Re: rpm vs rpm2pkg
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/31/2004 10:02:32
In article <BAY23-F38AAEE888AF64539624DC0F59C0@phx.gbl>,
	"Germano Cesari" <u56237z@hotmail.com> writes:
> error creating temporary file /usr/pkg/emul/linux/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.2536

Have you tried to create the directory "/usr/pkg/emul/linux/var/tmp"?

> - does rpm2pkg register the rpm in some db?

No, it doesn't. "rpm2pkg" was written to be used by package sources. It can
e.g. create a pkgsrc-style package list which can be used to register
the contents of a RPM archive as a pkgsrc package.

> - may I assume I have a problem with the rpm executable I built via pkgsrc?

Possibly. The "rpm" package is very outdated.

> - is there a reason why should anyone consider bothering with rpm, since
> rpm2pkg works?

If you want to have real package management you'll have to create a
"pkgsrc" package which uses "rpm2pkg" to register your Linux package
with NetBSD's package system. Please take a look at
"pkgsrc/graphics/mtv/Makefile" to see how that works.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/