Subject: Re: /dev/io vestiges (implementation): in what version ?
To: Peter L. Peres <plp@actcom.co.il>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/27/2004 11:34:09
--nextPart12563903.0CGFZdTsVU

On Monday 27 December 2004 07:54, Peter L. Peres wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for the vestiges of the /dev/io implementation in the 1.6.1
> kernel source tree. I cannot seem to find it, and it is not built (the
> manpage says it is built when OPTION_10 is defined but that options
> is defined in GENERIC and other kernels and /dev/io isn't built).
>
> So, my question is: what version is known to have a working /dev/io
> built in it. I would like to look at the code for inspiration.
>
> thanks,
> Peter

=46rom the man page:
[...]
     This device is obsolete and is provided for compatibility purposes onl=
y;
     use i386_iopl(2) instead.
[...]
     The io file appeared in NetBSD 1.0 after it was in the kernel for some
     time.

This function call was depreciated and replaced with i386_iopl. Option_10 i=
s=20
only used to build kernels to be backwards compatible with old binaries.

=46or info on the current implementation read i386_iopl(2)

cheerio Berndt