Subject: user space hw io: final
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter L. Peres <plp@actcom.co.il>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/24/2004 01:50:04
I have run all the necessary debugging, getting io space permissions as
user root with i386_get_ioperm and then reading and writing io space
using inb, outb, inw, outw yields the following:

- the ioperm read map is initially always all 1's
- setting 0's in the map at addresses where I wish to write always
works, even if the addresses are taken by a configured driver (setting
zeros according to the manual page)
- reading from any address works
- writing to any address always busfaults, regardless of whether the
address is owned by a driver or not

Kernel is netbsd-1.6.1 GENERIC, /dev/io is not configured

I conclude that what I am trying to do is not possible (can't write to
kernel io bus space) with the current kernel.

any comments are welcome, thanks,
Peter