Subject: Re: upgrading to 2.0
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakollasch@mcleodusa.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/17/2004 20:44:14
On Friday, December 17, 2004 12:18 pm, Steve Blinkhorn wrote:
> 1.  Is it really necessary to have installation *floppies* available?
> I installed my 1.6.2 systems from CD-ROM ISO images, and actually
> don't even have a floppy drive (or the scope to fit one) to one
> machine.   Can I assume that if I can boot from CD-ROM I can also
> upgrade that way?

You can gunzip the /i386/binary/kernel/netbsd-INSTALL.gz file into your root
directory and then direct your primary bootstrapper (the thing just after the
bios) to "boot netbsd-INSTALL", then upgrading from hdd, cd, nfs, ftp...
(however if anything goes wrong with bootblocks you will need a bootable
INSTALL CD or floppy to fix things.

	Jonathan Kollasch